If you work with runners, you find that they are constantly battling with injuries instead of running. In Runner’s Core Fix you will learn to assess and train the core for real results. The missing link that frequently is not assessed or trained properly are the breathing muscles. Research has identified the breathing muscles as the #1 factor affecting a runner’s performance and how injury resistant they are.
Building upon this, the Runner’s Core Fix gives you specific tools in an integrated approach to improve the breathing, core and hip muscles that make up the runner’s core.
ROBYN PESTER MS, PT, ATC, CSCS, PES
Robyn has 30+ years of experience and clinical expertise in the fields of physical therapy, athletic training, and strength and conditioning. Her background includes a Master of Science from the University of Oregon (2000) and Bachelor of Science from the University of Montana in athletic training (1988) and physical therapy (1994). Robyn is a Certified Athletic Trainer, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Advanced Sports Performance Specialist, Graston Certified, Full Body ART certified and FMS Certified.
Robyn has served as the lead PT for the 2016 and 2020 Olympic Track & Field Trials as well as a consultant for the OTC Track & Field athletes in Eugene. The primary focus of her practice has been with runners. In addition to her practice, Robyn is an adjunct instructor at the University of Oregon for their Sports Medicine Program and FAT Tool Instructor, a business coach for women in the healthcare profession and provides online fitness programs for runners.
At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Understand the system of muscles that make up the deep front line and the runner’s core
- Utilize the Runner’s Core Fix Assessment to identify weaknesses and energy links in the core and hips
- Determine how posture and breathing are impacting a runner’s core stability with the 5 Point Breathing and 4 Point Posture Assessments
- Learn manual techniques (Movement with mobilization/Muscle Energy Techniques) to optimize the pelvis and ribcage for improved breathing and core function.
- Learn how to train the breathing system for increased strength, 3D breathing, and C02 tolerance.
- Level up core training by integrating posture and breathing into a progressive program for the core and hip muscles.
Other information that may be covered, time permitting includes a proven breathing technique a runner can use while running to decrease injury and the 6 Key stretches for the breathing system.
Saturday April 30, 2022
8:15-8:45am Intro to Core Stability in the Runner
8:45-10:00am Runner’s Posture and 4 Pt. Assessment
10:15-11:15am Breathing Mechanics & Chemistry
11:00am-12pm 5 Point Assessment of breathing
12:00-1:00pm Lunch(on your own)
1:00-2:15pm Runner’s Core Assessment
2:15 -3:00pm Manual Therapy for the Core- Pelvis/Ribcage
3:15-4:30pm Manual Therapy for the Core Pelvis/ Ribcage
4:30-5:00pm Stretches for the Breathing System
Sunday May 1, 2022
8:00-9:00am Review & Case Study
9:00-10:00am Breathing Drills / Injury Prevention Breathing Pattern for Running
10:15-11:15am Integrated Core/Breathing Exercises
11:15-12:00pm Horizontal Core Exercises
12:00-1:00pm Lunch (on your own)
1:00-2:00pm Vertical Core Exercises
2:00-3:00pm Running Simulated Core Exercises
3:00-3:15pm Course Wrap up
Providence Northeast Rehabilitation
507 NE 47th Ave
Portland, OR 97213